Saturday, December 18, 2010

Learning



We opened the doors to the back building of a run down clinic on the side of the road in deep Cambodian farm country, with big smiles and low expectations. It was a holiday, at the beginning of harvest season and the clinic we were using is known for selling drugs on the black market and not actually helping patients, essentially it's a place where people go to die. Our goal is to change all that.

In 3 days, over a span of 18 hours (6 shifts) 5 Chiropractors  logged roughly 600 patient visits! Patients came in from miles, by bus, car, moto, even horse driven.

The word used for Chiropractor in Khmer (Cambodia's national language) translates to adusting the nervous system ( I wish America adopted that realization...haha) so we were packed with all kinds of disorders.  Over the 3 days I cared for MS, Parkinsons, stroke, TB, Migrane, organ dysfunction and all ranges of pain. I was called upon to adjust the doctor of the clinic and the brother of his excellency...both reported amazing results and are now actively promoting the support of Chiropractic in Cambodia.

One patient really stuck with me, an 80 year old female who had stroke years ago and was delivered to the clinic in a hammock slung across the back of a pick-up with a make shift IV in her arm.  I carried her from the truck to my table, she laid there staring at the ceiling, no motion in her right side and hopelessness in her eyes, she looked checked out. I adjusted her hand, wrist, elbow and foot on the right side to stimulate the brain to the pathways on that side. Then I placed my hands on her neck, began to introduce motion and ever so gently adjusted her atlas, really just using the weight of my hand to move the bone into place. She came alive, huge smile, increased breathing, color returned... She was transmitting and recieving!  On the 3rd day she was making eye contact and was able to put energy into gripping my hand! This woman changed me...the absolute joy and gratitude in her eyes for the care I was providing floored me. Such a beautiful experience.

You never know how far reaching something  you say, think or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow!




Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Love what you said about the translation of Chiropractic, "adjusting the nervous system", that is exactly what it is.
    so thankful you are experiencing this and developing your own unique innate abilities to love, give, and serve. It is humbling.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Austin... experiences like that will be with you forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Bro,

    I had no idea that you were blogging experiences. I really enjoyed this piece and with it a little glimpse into the world you're creating for yourself with chiropractic.

    One of these days we're going to have to make good on that Cuba trip - make it a working trip.

    Keep on keepin on
    Pash

    ReplyDelete