Thursday, December 30, 2010

Touch

Before leaving North Cambodia we got the chance to serve at a huge Wat in the floating village. The floating village is such an inspiring place. This is an entire village who live on a river that floods up to 20-30 ft in the rainy season and they've adapted completely to heir situation; stilted homes, stashing firewood in the tallest trees and constructing floating pig sties. At the heart of the village is a massive ornate temple and school house. We were honored to be able to set up our tables and serve the village, students and even some tourists who were just looking around. Around noon Something very special happened. A large group of monks live at the Wat and the head monk here is considered one of the more prominent monks in Cambodia. He had been in seclusion for quite a while suffering from debilitating head aches/ dizziness and those around him were becoming worried. I was asked to adjust him. 2 of his helpers carried my table into a back building as I followed and began to mentally prepare. Once at the head monk's building I was instructed to remove my shoes and enter. Once inside I was guided through a series of steps to prepare myself to be in the Head Monks presence. After bowing to an immense golden Buddha four times I was told to remain on the floor. The head monk exited a door at the top of some stairs and made his way to my table aided by 2 other monks. He stood
in front of me in flowing orange robes with his disciples in a semi- circle around him. After bowing to him 3 times ( one less time than to the Buddha ) he removed his robe top and exposed the dozens of circular welts he accumulated from trying cupping to cure his dizziness. He had tried everything.

The next step was getting permission to touch his head (because the head is your temple and usually touching it is not allowed) once I received that he got on the table and we began the assessment. His atlas was subluxated to the left along with some other things. I set up, took a deep breath and asked ( in my head) to please have the ability to deliver a healing adjustment and then thrusted, his eyes opened up wide and it was clear something was different. After finishing the adjustment he stood up and began speaking in Khmer with my head Doc about how a bone out of place in the neck could make someone dizzy. On e he got a grasp on the Chiropractic philosophy he turned to me, put his hand up an said a few words. I was instructed to bow and back out of the room. I was told the monk had just blessed my with long life and prosperity. When I go back to the group my hands
were trembling. It all hit me at once, what had just happened. About 30mins later I was called on again. Apparently the head monk was already doing significantly better and instructed the rest of the monks to get adjusted. Spent he rest of the day adjusting monks in a temple under the watchful eye and smiling face of a giant gold
Buddha. I learned a valuable lesson...everyone has something! No matter how together someone looks or how prominent a person is, everyone is dealing with something. Treat everyone with the same compassion and caring. An absolutely special and humbling way to wrap up a strong day of adjusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment